Wednesday, April 18, 2012

"The Reasons for Suicide: An Analysis of the Diary of Arthur Inman."

Lester, David. "The Reasons for Suicide: An Analysis of the Diary of Arthur Inman." Diss. The
Richard Stockton College of New Jersey, Pomona, New Jersey, 2008. Print.
I found this article extremely useful in my research for reasons and prevention of suicide and the way the information is portrayed in this article is that of uniqueness.  “This article is a qualitative analysis of suicide.  Qualitative analyses can provide an in-depth understanding of the pathways leading to suicide, especially by providing a casual ordering of events in the individual’s life.” (Lester, p.56)  Much different than the other articles I found this article uses a diary to provide psycho dynamics of people’s lives and although they’re inspecting an individual’s life, they include scientific information and scholarly knowledge to explain why the diary entries were written the way they were.  The comparison between this article written by David Lester and John D’Agata’s book astonishes me. Also, the way the information is portrayed in Lester’s article almost reads the same way that D’Agata presents his information in, About a Mountain.  I believe D’Agata and Lester would have a friendly conversation, solely based on the way the two authors present their information and the passion the show for their research.  However, I believe that if David Lester read About a Mountain, he would recommend D’Agata to include more proven evidence on why suicide occurs along with his experiences that are already provided in his book.  This article will help me tremendously in my essay because it provides the exact information I was looking for while it could present a good argument at the same time.  Also, the way the information is proposed in this article may allow my style of writing to be different and unique throughout this essay.

No comments:

Post a Comment